It’s been two weeks since my last ballet class and THREE, yes THREE long weeks since the last pointe class. I don’t miss class, it’s not my ‘thing’. I recently had to have a medical procedure which meant that exercise was a definite no. (Not even a sneaky little bit of barre work). Cue stompy-ballerina-sulk and a break from ballet.
Here are 55 thoughts that went through my ballet-starved brain over the last few weeks:
1. My appointment is on ballet day?!
2. No exercise for two weeks?!
3. Maybe I can just do barre in class and sit out jumps.
4. And turns.
5. Maybe I can do pointe?
6. Or maybe not. Pointe work isn’t gentle.
7. Watching your fellow ballerinas dance while you sit on the side is a depressing thought.
8. This is my last class before my appointment.
9. I want to do this class in pointe shoes.
10. I enjoy this too much and don’t want to miss the next few weeks.
11. Get a grip, ballerina! People have to miss class for much longer than you.
12. Yeah, so I definitely could not have gone to class after this. [Post-procedure]
14. I can’t even do a grand plié right now.
15. Everybody is at class right now and I’m sat on a sofa.
16. Tuesdays are not the same.
17. I miss my pointe shoes.
18. What I get left behind.
19. What if when I return they can all do triples?
20. What if the triples are en pointe?
21. I’ll be fine, I’ll just have a little practise in the kitchen over the next few weeks.
22. [Next day] I don’t see what all the fuss is about, I’m not in any pain.
23. Maybe that means I can go to class next week!
24. Yeah maybe not. [After walking too far the next day.]
26. I really have to miss class don’t I?
27. What if my body can’t remember to pirouette when I get back?
28. What if I lose ALL flexibility?
29. What if my feet loose their strength?
30. I miss my pointe shoes.
31. I miss barre work.
32. I miss rond de jambe.
33. I miss adage.
34. I really miss adage.
35. I don’t miss petit battements.
36. I really miss being en pointe.
37. I cannot imagine permanently giving up ballet.
38. Something is definitely missing.
39. What if I lose my ballet muscles.
40. My beautiful rock hard ballet calf muscles, are they disappearing?
41. I hope muscle memory is a real thing.
42. I miss arabesques.
43. I miss the post-ballet class feeling.
44. Am I going to look enormous in a leotard after all this time time off?
45. What if I lose my turn out?
46. I am quite worried that I have lost my pirouettes in ALL forms.
47. Watching ballet makes me jealous.
48. I cannot wait to get back to class.
49. I really miss pointe work.
50. I cannot imagine giving this up.
51. I need to work extra hard when I get back.
52. I hope there is such a thing as ‘pirouette memory’.
53. Turns in attitude, oh how I miss you!
54. I never realised just how much I would actually miss dancing.
55. Back to class day is finally here, get me back to that barre!